Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Reading Between the Lines

One of the many things that come with children are a lot of books. Every few weeks a new Scholastic Book order form comes home. Then there are the Scholastic Book Fair's. The books are a good thing, especially when you have a son who hates to read. He hates to read, but likes being read to. This job has fallen onto my wife and she usually reads for a half hour before the kids go to bed.

A few weeks ago she caught a cold and really wasn't up for the task. Being the good father and husband I took over the duties and finished the last few chapters of a Star Wars book. This was not a book about one of the movies but a piece of fiction involving the characters in a different situation. Basically a piece of fan fiction but in an actual published book. As I finished up this book I realized that it really was a poorly written piece of crap. I could come up with a better storyline and write one myself.

I was serious about this. Being someone who has a tendency to go overboard when taking on a new project I've decided I need to do it right. This will require actual research into the inner workings of the Star Wars universe, but more importantly, I need work on my writing ability. This led to my enrollment in three classes. Creative Writing I, II, and III.

What does this have to do with poker you ask? Let me tell you. For my first assignment I had to think back to some key moments in my creative growth as a child. This led to some self analysis and what I have gone through in life to make me the man I am today. I have always been someone who has a problem finishing what I start. I'll get some grand idea about a project or hobby, throw myself into it whole heartedly, get bored, and move onto the next whim. This is what's happening with my poker playing. I'm getting bored. I'm not having fun at the tables anymore. Every time I look at my spreadsheets the only thought that enters my mind is, "How could I have made all that profit, yet only have a bankroll of $100. How did I allow myself to withdraw so much money that I've all but busted myself."

This blog is approaching its second anniversary and I'm also approaching my third year of play. The game has brought much to me in the past and I don't want this to lead to one of those things that I quit and move away from. I need to find a way to reboot my enthusiasm for poker. I need to find a way to make it fun again. I suppose I will find my way again. It just needs to be before the $100 is gone.