Thursday, January 05, 2006

Not According To Plan

I've finished clearing the bonus at ChecknRaise while pissing away $59.40. The bonus I had left was for $30 so I finished with a loss. Yesterday I deposited at Full Tilt to take advantage of their 50% reload and managed to lose another $48 without clearing any of the bonus. Certainly not according to plan.

It won't take poker tracker to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's a sad state of affairs when you know what your doing wrong, yet continue to do it. It's not my opponents bad play, or suckouts that are doing me in. It's Fancy Play Syndrome. FPS is the greatest cause of financial loss at low limit poker. It's not your opponents inability to recognize that your representing the better hand. It's your inability to recognize that your opponent doesn't care, and thus won't lay down his hand anyway.

I'm going to fire up a single table today at work and see if I can't reverse the trend. When I write about a problem it usually helps me focus on it, so we'll see what happens.

On a totally different note. A while back when the good Dr. Pauly was having his little series of tournaments called Saturdays with Dr. Pauly I participated in all of them. I went on to have the distinction of worse overall record. Not a distinction I'm overly proud of but on the bright side I did win a prize. It arrived in the mail yesterday and it included a WSOP poker chip, and the Phil Gordon DVD. A big thank you goes out to the good Doctor and once I watch the DVD I'll post my thoughts on it.